The Ellesmere Port Parish Community Outreach Group (COG) commit to connect with and support others. We aim to develop community engagement, sharing the light and love of Jesus.
We are ambassadors for Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20), therefore we need to be actively involved in the world (not just within our churches) and its contextual nature – we need to be working with our local people.
Within the ‘Five Marks of Mission’, two have particular emphasis for community work:
To respond to human need by loving service
To seek to transform unjust structures of society
Therefore, theologically this leads to the following for our community:
- Dignity: we are all valued as God’s people.
- Action; based on justice and love for our neighbour.
- Transformation; for individuals, the church and society.
- Collaboration; communities and churches.
- Service; accepting and valuing the gifts of everyone.
- Equality; for all involved.
The aim of the COG is to go out to our community, in order to bring our community in. We see this as a flowing two way process, whereby the COG truly enacts the overarching church mission statement ‘Christ in the Centre of the Church, the Church in the Centre of the Community’.
Through our work we aim to:
- Reduce the impact of food and fuel poverty.
- Increase social engagement within the community via fun days and other groups.
- Provide pastoral support.
- Provide a safe and welcoming space for community members to attend.
- Partner with other agencies and network to increase support options for the community.
- Reduce the impact of period poverty.
- Fundraise and give to charity both locally, nationally and overseas.
- Share the light and love of Jesus through all of our initiatives.